Home » New Student Information

New Student Information

To the newest members of the Agricultural & Environmental Chemistry Graduate Group: WELCOME! In this page, you’ll find a number of business-related items, timelines, and important dates for events in the upcoming school year.


What do I do now?


Complete Immediately:


Submission of Annual FAFSA report

All U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or international students who will be receiving any kind of financial support (including Work Study, fellowships, scholarships, or research stipends from your advisor’s funds) are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year, regardless of your financial need or eligibility. This is University policy. If you have not already filed your application, you can complete the on-line application or you can pick up a hard copy from the Financial Aid Office in Dutton Hall. The school code for Davis is 00131. Eligibility for priority funding requires that your FAFSA be complete by March 1st of each year, but you can submit your FAFSA at any time. For more information, please visit the Graduate Financial Aid website.

!!! If you do not complete the FAFSA, you will NOT receive stipend or aid checks!!!

Obtain a UCD e-mail address, login ID, and Kerberos password — Go to the Information Technology website. Please make your new address available to the Graduate Coordinator.


As Soon as You Arrive on Campus:


Photo ID for New Students

To get your photo ID, you will need to visit the AggieCard office in 161 Memorial Union.


Placement Exams and TA Training

All incoming AgChem students take ACS Standardized Exams with the Chemistry Department. AgChem students must take and pass only the Organic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry exams. Students who want to do research in soil chemistry are usually told to take the Inorganic Chemistry exam as well. Occasionally, students want to or will be asked to take the Analytical or Biological Chemistry exams. The General Chemistry exam must be taken and passed by anyone who wants to be a TA for the Chemistry department, and is recommended for all incoming students. Your grade can be kept on record until you are ready to use them.  Please contact the AgChem office for details about days and times for these exams.


Fall Quarter Registration Deadline

You must be enrolled in 12 total credits by this date. (As new students, you may not have had a chance to visit with your academic adviser or you may not have the course registration numbers, or CRNs, for your research or seminars. Fear not! Just simply sign up for 12 units in anything—underwater basket-weaving or fencing—and then when you have had the chance to talk with your advisers, simply change your course registration. By signing up for classes before the registration deadline, you save a lot of hassle!


Registration deadlines can be found at the UC Davis Academic Calendar.


Registered students: You can use SISWEB to enroll in classes, adjust your class schedule, view and print your class schedule, print your unofficial academic record, change your address, view your account, view your financial aid status, and much more.


Graduate Week of Orientation and Welcome (WOW)

The Office of Graduate Studies offers many activities and workshops for incoming graduate students in all programs.  Please visit the Grad Studies Week of Welcome Website for details about this year’s events.


Orientation and Welcome Dinner

The new student orientation will occur the week before classes begin.  Here you will ask questions about the program, the campus, and other aspects of being a new graduate student. You should be receive more information as we get closer to this date. Please keep us posted if your address and contact information changes over the summer!

After the orientation, there will be the AgChem Annual Welcome Dinner for all new and continuing students as well as Faculty. This will be an excellent opportunity for you to meet current Ag-Chem students and faculty.


More Registration Information

To enroll, visit the Student Information System on the Web, or SISWEB. Log into the website with your Kerberos login ID and password. If you do not have this ID or password yet, visit the Information Technology link on the SISWEB login page (See Above).  This information should be mailed out to you. Initially, your PAC is your birth date. You may change this at any time. Once you have accessed SISWEB, you will find the registration page under Student Services and Financial Aid.

IMPORTANT: All Ag-Chem students must register for AGC-290, Section 001.  First-year Ag-Chem students must also attend a second  weekly “Meet the Faculty” seminar, AGC-290 Section 002.  Be sure to register for both sections!

The other ten credits can be a combination of coursework and research credits. Students are generally advised to register for no more than 2-3 courses each quarter until they have finished their coursework requirements. Check with your Academic Adviser for assistance in selecting the appropriate courses and course load. If you don’t know who your academic adviser is, email etoxgradadvising@ucdavis.edu as soon as possible and schedule a meeting. Remember, your academic adviser is NOT your research adviser. A guideline for courses  can be found on in the Degree Requirements link above. Most courses are only offered once per year, and some less often than that, so plan your courses carefully! CRNs for selected courses can be found in the Class Schedule and Registration Guide.

Each professor has unique CRNs for research credits that will be obtained from that professor. Again, these CRNs change every quarter, so you must obtain new numbers each time. Research CRNs are variable credits and the initial registration step assigns only one credit. You must then return to the Registration Menu and select “Change Grade Mode” and “Change Variable Units.” Change the research credits to whatever number gives you a total of 12 credits for the quarter.

If you have any questions about registration, feel free to ask other Ag Chem graduate students or your academic advisor. We’d be glad to help you figure it out! Continuing students can be a valuable asset to inform you of what classes to avoid or what classes should not be missed, so make sure you ask questions!